Saturday, September 7, 2013

Worth the Wait.....

Here it is 3:11 am Saturday morning.  I cannot sleep and therefore - here I am.  

It still seems weird that "It" finally happened.....  The "It" being him - AKA Mr. Wainscott.

I never thought I would get married at the ripe, old age of 35.  As a little girl, I always thought I would go to college, fall in love with the college hunk, move to a big city, be married by 24-26,  have my first baby by 28, the last one around 30 and live happily ever after.  DONE!  I crack up every time I think of that scenario!  Boy was I wrong!  Hahaha....  

Let's rewind....   My first year of college started on a volleyball scholarship to ACU.  (That lasted a smooth one year.  Talk about STRICT - You know it wasn't the best fit for me when at semester I begged to come home and waitress at K-Bob's.  Mom and Dad shot that idea down real quick).  I went home that summer knowing that I was never going to back to Abilene.  Had to tell the parents.  That was an awesome conversation.  I remember sitting my mom down in May of 1997, and letting her know that I didn't think college was for "ME". I needed to find myself I remember telling her.  Well, with your Mom being a principal and all, that went over like a ton of bricks.  I remember her saying quite curtly, "Well, you have to find something to do."  I then proceeded to tell her that I wanted to be a flight attendant!  (Random?)  LONG story short, we headed to Dallas one weekend to the American Airlines Headquarters.  I remember walking into my appointment/interview nervous as all get out.  The only words I heard were, "Well Heather - you are only 19, so if you decide to go down this path, you will be flying on American Eagles until you are 21 and could be stationed in Chicago or NYC."  Well that was scary enough to make me sprint all the way back home to small, cow-town Texas. 

When I knew a career at K-Bob's was probably not going to pan out, I decided to head to good, old Lubbock, Texas for the next 4 and 1/2 years of college at Tech!  What an eye opener that was!  Going from prison @ ACU (kidding - kind of) to complete freedom and chaos at Texas Tech, let's just say Steve and Sharon were less than impressed when my first semester grades rolled in that lovely day in December.  That was another fun conversation - A great Christmas that was I bet.

From Hereford, to Abilene, then to Lubbock and then off to Dallas/Ft. Worth....  Yes I finally made it to the city - but with no husband and no babies  - AND I was 29.....  I started to PANIC.  Big time...

Fast forward to the age of 34....  I had pretty much given up trying to find "him".  Yes I had dated some great guys (OK maybe one or two- or maybe just one).  And those somehow didn't work out for reasons here or there.  BUT don't you worry - I dated some (a lot) real idiots too.  (Just ask Cody, Slade and all my girlfriends - There have been some real doozies - For example, one boyfriend that dropped me off on the side of a busy street at 1:45 am, one guy that couldn't tell me what he did because he said it was "secret and classified information", a super -oober Tech fan that acted like he was on speed 24 hours a day, and the guy that tanned more than I used to, wore short shorts, used more beauty products that I did, and took longer to get ready than ME (red flag) - This LIST could go one for a lifetime, but I will spare you!)  Hey - we all live and learn....  And as strange as this sounds, God put those lovely gems in my life for a reason....  To prepare me for his best.  

And that was my husband...

I knew he was a catch the night of our first date at Al Biernat's in Dallas, but when the whole Hodges clan fell in love with him weeks later....  I knew I was done.  This was it.  My old life was forever gone and now he was my future.

Brad completely gets me...  As frustrating and Type A as I am at times, he gets me - (he may not like me at that moment).  He lets me be "Heather".  I am sometimes amazed that he picked me.  And talk about patient - This man has the patience of JOB!  Sharon thinks he is a Saint and Steve couldn't be happier that Brad has now taken over this lovely mess...  aka his daughter!

With all kidding aside, Brad is EVERYTHING and more that I have ever wanted, and trust me, my list was long.  He loves me unconditionally, puts my needs first, is patient, gentle, loving and the kindest man.  He loves Jesus, loves our families, is ambitious, a hard worker, and is going to be the best Daddy when we are blessed with that next adventure.  I am in awe of him every day and so extremely proud to call him my best friend; my husband....

(It's now 4:16 am - What on earth am I doing?)

To be cont.'


Love All~

H



2 comments:

  1. Hey Heather, I can totally relate! You may remember I left for DC after HS graduation and that lasted all of one year, headed to Tech (with a year and a half detour to Disney), and I, too, dated my share of doozies! I was in 6 weddings and thought it would be the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride". I might not have waited quite as long as you, but I completely agree with all of those life experiences preparing you for the ONE! I'm really enjoying reading your blog! I have one, too. More of a mommy blog, and I don't update it as often as I used to, but if you ever get a chance, feel free to stop by. www.scoopofreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allison! We do have similar stories! - It was the most fun journey at times, but GOd knew EXACTLY what he was doing.... Thank you so much! Yes will totally check out you blog. Your kids are too cute. I am so happy for yall that your Mom and Dad are so close now. JEALOUS!:)

    ReplyDelete