Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Our First Mardi Gras...

Well it is officially Ash Wednesday....  That means Mardi Gras has come and gone!:(  Not that I really understand what the whole Mardi Gras season is.....  But I.Love.It!!!!!!

AND....  We had a Krewe of Third Grade Parade at my elementary school last Thursday.  Oh.My.Word.....  INSANE!  That parade was definitely one of the highlights of my teaching career.  IT was a total BALL!  All the kids grouped up, designed and created their own unique floats (On their time- weeks prior)....And then it was TIME.  

Thursday at 2:00, all seven 3rd grade classes paraded around the outside of the school.  It was a two block circle full of the kindergartners - 2nd graders, teachers, parents, neighbors, community members, and etc... They all watched and duked it out for all our throws! 

They dressed up in crazy costumes, face paint, wigs... you name it!  They had millions of strands of beads to throw, along with stuffed animals, cups, candy, and my favorite.... Mini Moon Pies.  Why have I never tried one of these things?  OH MY!  Moon Pie addict here.

Some of Mrs. Wainscott's awesome floats!

 And we were off.... 

Yes, we get a week off of school, but it is more than that!  The bright colors, the spirit in the Louisiana air, the King Cakes, throws, etc... It is crazy down here.  Texans, you have no idea!

We only made it to two parades on the Northshore, so I feel like I really didn't get the "whole MG" experience, but there is always next year!  The suburb parades were great and all, but not New Orlean's worthy, from what I have heard.  


One parade, Brad's Northshore location had a tailgate for the parade!  I felt like I was back in my tailgating days at Texas Tech!  The best BBQ ribs and chicken, loud music, tons of people, and a Winnebago, strictly for the ladies' bathrooms needs.   (Not stepping foot in the "Johnny Pot" - (yes, that's Progressive's name for their port-a-potty's)...


Not Jambalya folks... Introducing PastalayaPretty delish....

 Brad helping out a friend in need of grabbing beads...
 Got a lucky horseshoe from one float!  Real gold??  Thanks Gus!

Brad and I headed down to the city yesterday for Fat Tuesday....  The weather was DREADFUL....  I mean I laid out Sunday afternoon for an hour, Monday was 65+ degrees and yesterday was 32 degrees and a constant 24+ hour drizzle.  STRANGE!

Not a good hair day or Fat Tuesday, but it was fun to be in the city for the three short hours we were there.  Thank God for the Progressive Waste Bus we got to sit in on Canal Street.  We also got to tool around through the streets on a mini-trash van...  Never did I think I would talk about trash so much in my life!

YUCKY weather = a cap and Brad's only excuse to pull out the LSU pullover! 

 Bourbon Street - pretty empty.
 Canal Street....  A ghost town!

 Thank the lord for this badboy!  I wouldn't have made it!

On the other hand, I was so glad we were able to lunch on Sunday with this sweet friend!  Steph come to Mardi Gras every year from Dallas!  She does the real deal.  Goes to the Endymion Ball every MG!  She had some great stories from that night.    And she spilled the beans that Carrie Underwood Wainscott performed.  If my hubs would have known that, we would have been at that ball with bells on. 

 "School's Out Dinner" with the Gerhardt's at Sal and Judy's!


What a great first Mardi Gras it was in Louisiana...  So much culture and fun here.  

We are definitely loving this new adventure...

But...  Off to Dallas tomorrow to see the family!  Definitely in need of some MOM time... Cannot wait~

Hope everyone is having a fabulous week - Off or not!

Love,

~H












No comments:

Post a Comment